Hotchkin Hanly is aware of the importance of safeguarding the privacy of individuals who we deal with.
We Collect and Hold and Use Personal Information
- In summary, ‘personal information’ in this context is information or an opinion (whether true or not) about an identified, or reasonably identifiable, individual.
- Hotchkin Hanly may, in the course of its business, collect and use the personal information of individuals. The information may not be used for another purpose unless you have consented to its use or disclosure, or it is within one of the exceptions contained in the APP’s (at 6.2). For example, where its use or disclosure is required or authorised by an Australian law or court/tribunal order.
The Kinds of Personal Information We Collect and Hold
- The personal information Hotchkin Hanly may collect and hold varies and is generally dependent on whether an individual is an existing or potential client, supplier, sub-contractor or employee.
- Details can include but are not limited to name, date of birth, gender, current and previous address (including postal address), contact details including telephone numbers, E-mail address, occupation, property ownership, bank details and business details.
- Hotchkin Hanly does not generally seek information from credit reporting bodies.
How and Why We Collect and Hold Personal Information
- Hotchkin Hanly will usually collect personal information directly from you. This may occur when we either meet you in person, correspond with you by phone, email, or post, or when you provide us with documents containing your personal information. Occasionally, Hotchkin Hanly may collect personal information about you from third parties. This may occur if it is unreasonable or impractical to collect the information from you directly, or we are required or permitted to do so by an Australian law or court/tribunal order.
- Hotchkin Hanly collects, holds and uses personal information in order to efficiently operate its business and to provide and market its products and services for the benefit of its clients, including:
- to identify and communicate with you
- to enable us to provide requested services
- to collect payments
- to obtain and manage insurance policies
- to process job applications
- to manage and improve services we provide to you
- to manage and improve goods and services we purchase from our suppliers
- to develop and tell you about services that we consider may be of interest, unless you advise us not to do so
- to protect you and us from fraud
- for security purposes
- for business support purposes including maintenance, backup and audit
- to comply with our statutory and legal obligations
- to produce marketing material and to allow us to provide advertising material to you regarding us, our clients and other business partners
- to respond to any queries or complaints you may have.
- Hotchkin Hanly may disclose personal information of a client to counsel briefed by Hotchkin Hanly. Hotchkin Hanly may disclose personal information of a client to Hotchkin Hanly’s suppliers or sub-contractors to enable Hotchkin Hanly to supply services to the client. It might also supply personal information of a supplier or sub-contractor to a client for the same purpose.
- If Hotchkin Hanly cannot collect, hold and use the personal information it may not be able to act for you or supply services (if you are a client), contract with you (if you are a supplier or sub-contractor) or employ you.
- Either before or at the time personal information about you is collected, Hotchkin Hanly will take reasonable steps to notify you of the collection and of various other matters as provided by the APP’s. If it is not practicable to notify you before or at the time of collection, Hotchkin Hanly will provide notification as soon as is practicable.
- Hotchkin Hanly takes reasonable steps to ensure that all personal information that is collected from you is protected from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
- Hard copies of documents containing personal information are stored in secure facilities located in Perth, Western Australia. Any electronic copies of personal information are stored on servers and hard drives that have security measures in place.
Unsolicited Personal Information
- From time-to-time Hotchkin Hanly may receive unsolicited personal information from you that would not have been acquired in the usual course of carrying out its business. If this occurs and it is information that is not contained in a Commonwealth record, we will destroy the information or ensure that it is de-identified, as soon as practicable, if it is lawful and reasonable to do so.
Access to Personal Information
- You may request individual access to personal information that is held by Hotchkin Hanly by writing to the Office Manager, specifying the information requested and the manner in which the information is to be provided. We will respond to your request within a reasonable period of time.
- The APP’s set out a list of circumstances (at 12.3) where Hotchkin Hanly has the right to refuse access to personal information after a request has been made. For example, where giving access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other individuals.
- Hotchkin Hanly also has the right to refuse a request if it is not reasonable and practical to provide the information in the manner which you requested.
- If, after considering your request, we refuse access to the personal information, we will issue you with a written notice within a reasonable period of time setting out the reasons for refusal. A written notice may not be produced where the grounds for refusal make it unreasonable to give such reasons.
- Hotchkin Hanly reserves the right to charge you for access to personal information.
Correction of Personal Information
- Hotchkin Hanly takes reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is accurate, up-to-date and complete. If you believe that any personal information (including credit information) we hold about you is incorrect, you may contact the Office Manager on the contact details below. We will endeavour to respond to the request within a reasonable period of time after the request is made.
- If Hotchkin Hanly is satisfied that personal information we hold is inaccurate, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading, we will take such steps as are reasonable to correct that information. You will not be charged for making this request.
Disclosure to Overseas Recipients
- Personal information that is collected from you is stored in Australia.
- If you have any complaints about any privacy matters you may make a written complaint to the Office Manager, whose details are set out below. The Office Manager will consider the complaint and respond in writing within 30 days of receiving the complaint.
- If you are unhappy with the decision of the Office Manager, you may make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
If you have any queries or would like further information please contact:
Level 1, 28 The Esplanade
PERTH WA 6000
Phone: (08) 9218 7700
Fax: (08) 9218 7777
GET IN TOUCH
If you would like to know more on how we can help you, please contact us via the below form.